Saturday, May 31, 2008

Flight information - please read.

I've been in contact and have the information on the flights, but before I release that info to the group, I need to get everyone's opinion on something.

On the trip home, we'll arrive in Detroit at 8:30 p.m. on the 21st. Due to airlines trying to cut costs, the number of short domestic flights is being cut - especially those to smaller airports. What that means for us is that the next flight out of Detroit to Grand Rapids does not leave until 9:30 a.m. on the 22nd. EF would put us up in a Detroit hotel for the night, and we'd arrive in GR around 10:30 on the 22nd. When I heard that, I immediately called EF to ask if there was any way to change this plan - I know that amny of you need to be home on the 21st as planned and that for some a morning pick-up could be tough. I also know that most of us won't feel like spending the night in Detroit.

EF realized the problem and has been working with me to fix it. Here's the deal.

Option 1: If things stay as they are, we'll get in on the morning of the 22nd, with a night in Detroit. There will be no extra cost to anyone.

Option 2: EF could arrange to cancel the last leg of the flight and get us a bus transport to DeWitt High School on the night of the 21st. We'd arrive at DeWitt high around 11-11:30 p.m. EF would have to pay for the bus and would have to pay 34 cancelation fees with the airline - the coast to each person for this option would be $36.

Option 3: Not really an option - students could arrange their own transport home from Detroit, and would have to pay for the cancelation fee at both the airline and the hotel - I don't have a cost on this, but it would not be cheap.

So, the choice is this - no extra cost with a Grand Rapids pick-up on the 22nd, or $36 with a DeWitt pick-up late on the 21st. We will have to decide as a group, since we can only choose one option or the other.

I hate to put this out so late in the game. I know that I promised no "hidden" fees or nickel and diming. I just want to do what's best for the whole group in this instance. I'll be calling on Sunday evening to get everyone's opinion on this, and we'll go with the majority vote.

I'll also post the other flight info in a bit.

JVH

No comments: